We hope that your semester is off to a great start. Remember that Monday, January, 15 is Martin Luther King Day and we will observe the holiday and there will be no school. We will be back to school on Tuesday, January 16 with our regular schedule. Have a nice three-day weekend.
For all parents/guardians and students:
- The student WiFi is now up and running on our campus. Students can access academic sites and through their personal technology for school work. The campus now has great WiFi connectivity throughout the campus. In addition, outdoor access points have been added so that staff and students can access the wireless network in the courtyard, common areas and outside the cafeteria. The wireless network connection available to students when they are on campus it is named Student-BYOD. When a student accesses the WiFi connection the student will be presented with a splash page. The student will sign in with the domain Username and Password (not Google account). Students will be able to access their Google account and Google Apps including their Google Drive, Calendar, Docs, and Classroom. Other apps present on their personal devices will be restricted, for example, apps like Facebook, Instagram, chatting and messaging apps will launch but will not connect to the Internet.
- Please remind your student that any misuse of our district technology has consequences. Our Technology Department is monitoring all use of computers and WiFi and if they see any violations of our district technology policies, the CHS administrative team can give consequences for students who breaks our code of conduct.
- Do you have some time in your schedule to help our Career and Technical Education students learn about employability skills? Can you help with interviewing them so they know what it takes to get the job of their choice? If you have time on at CHS please contact John Scrogham our CTE coordinator at firstname.lastname@example.org to help out.
- Fencing and equipment have been delivered to the site for our upcoming construction on our campus. As soon as the county approves the final permits, digging will begin. This will increase noise, dust and traffic/walking restrictions on our campus so keep all doors and windows to vehicles closed and doors on campus shut. Also, please do not go to the construction sites to watch the work, we want everyone to be safe and to give the workers the space they need to build our new facilities. The two areas of construction will be the fieldhouse and the auditorium on the west and east sides of the school.
- Please mark your calendars for our Future Coyotes Open House event. If you know families that are moving to the area or you know students who are looking for a change, our annual family night for the community gives people the opportunity to see our school, academic programs and clubs, sports and activities. The event begins at and runs until on . The event will begin in our cafeteria and big gym.
- Our second semester Principal’s Pass awards will be given to the students who have earned a 3.1 GPA in the Fall 2017 semester. If your student earned this semester grade, then have them go to the bookstore for a sticker for their ID that will get them into all sporting events for free this spring. This will be given to students once all first semester grades have been posted to all students’ transcripts an announcement will be made for students to go to the book store with their ID.
- Please see the attached flyer for information about teenager support groups. As our school focuses on social-emotional supports for our students on campus, we want to share with you, information about what programming is offered off campus.
- Need copies of your student’s birth certificate? The Arizona Department of Health Services, Bureau of Vital Records (Department) has implemented a new online ordering service for Vital Records. Parents and guardians enrolling children in school or who need additional copies for their records can now order the child’s birth certificate online. Processing and mailing of the birth certificate is quick and convenient with this new service. Please go the following website to order them: www.azhealth.gov/
- Banner Health provide FREE health care services to children who are uninsured. Any uninsured child is welcome clinics and can obtain health care such as a sports physical, well child check, immunizations, sick care (cold, flu, strep, pink eye, ear infection, UTI, etc.) and they can provide low-cost referrals for specialty care needs as well. Please see the attached flyer for more information.
Notes from the Nurse:
Alice Sandusky is our CHS nurse and she wanted to share some health tips for students and their families in this flu and cold season.
- Remember eating balanced meals, drinking plenty of water. Teenagers need at least 8 hours of sleep a night.
- The CDC is reporting widespread flu in Arizona, with flu cases up 758% from last year. Here are some ways to protect yourself and others:
- Hand washing-good and frequent
- Cover your cough
- Stay home if sick
- Get a flu vaccine shot
- Please remember to keep your student home for the following:
- must be symptom free for 24 hours without the use of medication to return to school.
- Any questions contact me here at Combs High School: extension 3543
- Stay Healthy- Nurse Alice
- Please see the attached flyers for more information about the flu
COUNSELING DEPARTMENT: Upcoming events from the CHS counselors, please add these dates to your calendar. Students, please see your counselor for more information on these post-secondary opportunities.
Jan. 16--CAC Lunch visit
-- 8th grade registration presentations at CMS
—8th grade visit to CHS (Class of 2022)
--Future Coyote Open House in the cafeteria/big gym
Free/Reduced Applications: Are accepted all year long.
- Students who are eligible for free and/or reduced lunch are also eligible for free and/or reduced breakfast daily. Students may also receive a reduction on AP Exams, tutoring scholarships and college scholarships. Make sure your student is afforded every opportunity. Parents may also submit the Free and Reduced Lunch Application online. Please visit https://secure.ezmealapp.com/
Default.aspxto begin the process. Please call 480-987-5312 if you need any assistance.
- EzSchoolpay.com: This is an online payment option for parents to add money and monitor student accounts. Please call 480-987-5312 for your student’s ID number. Checking your child’s account balance and making payments online are great benefits. There is a $2.50 processing fee for each transaction.
Coyote Clubs/Activities and Sports:
- The Combs Football Booster Club is sponsoring a “Date with your Daughter” on so mark your calendars for this special evening for fathers and their K-12th grade daughters; this dance will be held at CHS. Please see the attached flyer for more information.
Athletic and Activities calendar:
Friday, January 12 - Boys Basketball @ Cortez
Girls JV Soccer HOME vs. Queen Creek
Wrestling @ Apache Junction Invitational
Saturday, January 13 - Wrestling @ Apache Junction Invitational
Tuesday, January 16 - Boys Basketball @ Apache Junction
Boys Soccer @ Cortez
Girls Basketball HOME vs. Apache Junction JV- , Varsity-
Girls Soccer HOME vs. Cortez JV- , Varsity-
, - Wrestling HOME vs. Apache Junction, Poston Butte -
- Boys Basketball HOME vs. Dysart 4:00/5:30/7:00 p.m.
Boys Soccer HOME vs. Coronado 4:00/6:00 p.m.
Girls Basketball @ Dysart
Girls Soccer @ Coronado
Freshman Wrestling @ Casteel
JV Wrestling @ Higley
- Boys Basketball @ Thunderbird
Boys Soccer @ Apache Junction
Girls Basketball HOME vs. Thunderbird 4:00/5:30/7:00 p.m.
Girls Soccer HOME vs. Apache Junction 4:00/6:00 p.m.
- FR/JV Wrestling @ Desert Vista
Cheer @ STATE (Chase Field)
- JV Boys Basketball beat Coronado
- Fr Girls Basketball beat Coronado
- JV Boys Soccer beat Seton Catholic
J.O. Combs Unified Schools:
- Combs Middle School Open House: Parents, incoming 7th graders, and new students are invited to an Open House at Combs Middle School beginning at for middle school overview, school tour, and staff introductions.
- It is not too early to think about kindergarten—our Combs Elementary schools have scheduled their open house for the youngest of our future Coyotes. Please see the attached flyer for more information.