It is hard to believe but October is almost over. November starts next week. Keep working hard Coyotes.
For all parents/guardians and students:
- Combs High School is in beginning stages of organizing an Alumni Association and we are looking for graduates and staff to participate in this exciting process. If you are interested in learning more, please contact—Brooke Davis, Principal at: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Combs Curtain Call is putting on our 4th Annual Haunted House on Saturday October 28th from in the 500 building at CHS. Tickets are only $3. This is a great activity for students 10 and older! Come support the drama department at CHS!
- Halloween is right around the corner. Our expectation is that if a student dresses in a costume that it meets our dress code requirements as outlined in our student handbook. Students can not cover their face or make themselves unrecognizable to staff and administration. Also, no facsimiles of a weapon are allowed.
- Attached is an article from the Phi Delta Kappan a professional education journal that I receive here at CHS. The article attached has information and research about how cellphones effect children, teens and adults. I have attached it for your review so that our CHS community can have conversation about technology and how it applies to life and learning.
- Combs High School has an opportunity to partner with MIKID, an organization focused on improving the behavioral health and welcome of children and youth. Every high school student and staff will participate in an hour-long presentation in their math class about the Signs of Suicide Prevention Program (SOS). The training will focus on increasing the knowledge and awareness of depression and suicide as well as strategies to acknowledge what friends or self is feeling, showing care to others and telling an adult so that support may be provided. The training will take place at the high school in November.
Testing schedule and calendar planning:
- - All Seniors will be ASVAB test. There is no change to the bell schedule on this date.
- - Veteran's Day school holiday falls on a Friday and there is no school on ; will be on an Odd Block Schedule.
- - This date will run on an even day assembly schedule. Veterans’ will be on campus to host "In-Class Assemblies". A veteran will visit the 3rd hour class to present to a small group rather than a traditional assembly where we meet in the gym.
- Friday, Nov. 10—No school in observance of Veterans’ Day
- - This is day 1 of our AZ Merit Fall Testing Window. There is no adjust the bell schedule this day.
- - This is day 2 of our AZ Merit Fall Testing Window. Again, no adjustment to the bell schedule.
- Mark your calendar for the community auditorium groundbreaking ceremony on December 11, 2017 from 9:30 am - 11:30 am at Combs High School. We look forwarding to seeing you there!
COUNSELING DEPARTMENT: Upcoming events from the CHS counselors, please add these dates to your calendar. Students, please see your counselor for more information on these post-secondary opportunities.
College and Career/Financial Aid night at CHS
ASVAB Testing- Seniors
CAC Palooza campus tour
NAU Campus tour
UA Campus tour
Ottawa Campus tour
Free/Reduced Applications: Are accepted all year long.
- Students who are eligible for free and/or reduced lunch are also eligible for free and/or reduced breakfast daily. Students may also receive a reduction on AP Exams, tutoring scholarships and college scholarships. Make sure your student is afforded every opportunity. Parents may also submit the Free and Reduced Lunch Application online. Please visit https://secure.ezmealapp.com/
Default.aspxto begin the process. Please call 480-987-5312 if you need any assistance.
- EzSchoolpay.com: This is an online payment option for parents to add money and monitor student accounts. Please call 480-987-5312 for your student’s ID number. Checking your child’s account balance and making payments online are great benefits. There is a $2.50 processing fee for each transaction.
Coyote Clubs/Activities and Sports:
- Ticket prices for athletic events are $5.00 for adults, $4.00 for senior citizens and active and retired military with proper ID and $4.00 for students finally, under 4 years of age--free.
Athletic and Activities calendar:
Marching Coyote Regiment competitions:
Congratulations to our Marching Coyote Regiment for their #1 ranking in the state. See them in action at our last home football game on Friday, October 27 or October 28 at Mountain View HS—performance is at
- Friday October 27 - Varsity Football HOME vs. Apache Junction
- Saturday October 28 - Swim @ Chandler
- Monday October 30th - Winter Sports practices begin
- Winter Sports include: boys’ and girls’ basketball, boys’ and girls’
Soccer and wrestling
- - Boys Soccer @ Queen Creek scrimmage
- - Girls Basketball HOME vs. Florence scrimmage
- Boys Basketball HOME vs. Florence scrimmage
- - Girls Soccer HOME vs. American Leadership Academy scrimmage
J.O. Combs Unified Schools:
- J.O. Combs launched new district and school websites in October. The updated sites are responsive meaning they adjust to any device and links important to parents are easier to find. If you have suggestions for information that may be helpful, please contact your school's administrative assistant. Visit the new sites at www.jocombs.org.
- More Advice on Teen Smartphone Use.pdf
Brooke Davis, Principal
Continuous Notice of Nondiscrimination
The J.O. Combs Unified School District does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, disability or age in its programs or activities and provides equal access to the Boy Scouts and other designated youth groups. Inquiries may be directed to the Title IX Coordinator or the Section 504/ADA Title II Coordinator at 301 E. Combs Rd., San Tan Valley, AZ 85140 or (480) 987-5300.
El Distrito Escolar Unificado de J.O. Combs no discrimina basada por la raza, el color, el origen nacional, el sexo, la discapacidad o la edad de una persona en sus programas o actividades y proporciona igual acceso a los Boy Scouts y otros grupos juveniles designados. Las consultas pueden dirigirse al coordinador del Título IX o al coordinador del Título II de la Sección 504 / ADA en 301 E. Combs Rd., San Tan Valley, AZ 85140 o (480) 987-5300.